A Focus On Immigration And Protecting Families

Standing Up For Immigrants And Victims Of Crime

If you are an immigrant who survived a crime, you might feel worried about coming forward because you fear removal. Fortunately, you have certain protections. The United States offers some alternative paths to permanent residency for crime victims who do not have legal status – but you will need an attorney to advise and assist you.

You can turn to Richards Law Office, P.C., for the guidance you need. Immigration attorney Erin Richards-Wilhelm helps immigrants throughout Colorado protect their rights. She can advise you of your options and help you bring justice to the person who harmed you.

Protecting Your Rights In The Immigration And Justice Systems

In 2000, Congress passed the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act, which established U-visas for victims of crimes who help authorities investigate criminal activity. Only a few types of crimes qualify victims for a U-visa. A few examples include:

  • Domestic violence
  • False imprisonment
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Prostitution
  • Stalking
  • Torture
  • Witness tampering
  • Rape
  • Trafficking

Ms. Richards-Wilhelm also has a thorough knowledge of criminal law. In addition to helping you bring criminals to justice and petition for a U-visa, she fights to make sure that the U.S. criminal justice system and the U.S. immigration system do not abuse your rights.

Using VAWA To Help You

The Violence Against Women Act, or VAWA, is a law that protects immigrants who experience domestic violence. Although the name of the act references women, it also includes male victims. Under VAWA, the police cannot initiate removal proceedings against you for reporting domestic abuse, even if you do not have permanent legal residency.

Seek Help Today By Scheduling A Consultation

The sooner you contact Richards Law Office, P.C., the sooner you can get a skilled, caring immigration lawyer to help you. Contact Ms. Richards-Wilhelm by calling her at 970-456-1898 in Glenwood Springs or by using her online contact form.